News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

Offering by two sons of Adam

Started by A Submitter, July 23, 2016, 11:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Submitter

Salam,

Offering=charity? I need to know if this was an act in the cause of God.

5:27 And recite to them the news of the two sons of Adam with truth. They had both made an offering, and it was accepted from one of them, and not accepted from the other. He said: ?I will kill you!? He said: ?God only accepts from the righteous.?
5:28 ?If you stretch your hand to kill me, I will not stretch my hand to kill you, for I fear God, Lord of the worlds.?
5:29 ?I want you to have both my sin and your own sin, and you will then be among the dwellers of the Fire. Such is the recompense of the wicked.?

Salam

Timotheus

Peace.

3:183 uses the same word in reference to an offering which would be consumed by fire, this likely refers to the account in 1 Kings chapter 18 :

[23] Then let them give us two bullocks; and let them choose one bullock for themselves, and cut it in pieces, and place it on the wood, and place no fire. And I, I will prepare the other bullock and will put it on the wood, and I will not place fire.  [24] And you shall call on the name of your god; and I, I will call on the name of Jehovah; and it shall be, the god who answers by fire, he is the God. And all the people answered and said, The word is good.  [25] And Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, Choose the one bullock for yourself, and prepare first, for you are many; and you call on the name of your god, but place no fire.  [26] And they took the bullock that was given to them, and prepared, and called on the name of Baal from the morning even until noon, saying, O Baal, answer us! And there was no sound, and no one was answering; and they leaped about the altar that one had made.  [27] And it happened at noon, that Elijah taunted them and said, Call with a loud voice, for he is a god; for he is meditating, or pursuing, or on a journey; it may be he is asleep and must be awakened.  [28] And they called with a loud voice, and cut themselves, according to their way, with swords and with spears until blood gushed out on them.  [29] And it happened as noon passed by, that they prophesied madly until the offering up of the offering; and no sound came , and no one was answering, and no one was paying attention.  [30] And Elijah said to all the people, Come near to me. And all the people came near to him; and he healed the altar of Jehovah that had been broken down.  [31] And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, to whom the word of Jehovah came, saying, Israel shall be your name.  [32] And he built an altar with the stones in the name of Jehovah, and made a trench around the altar large as two seahs of seed in space.  [33] And he arranged the wood, and cut the bullock in pieces, and placed it on the wood, and said, Fill four water jars of water and pour on the burnt offering and on the wood.  [34] And he said, Do it a second time; and they did it a second time; and he said, Do it a third time; and they did it a third time.  [35] And the water went around the altar, and also he filled the trench with water.  [36] And it happened at the offering of the sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near and said, O Jehovah, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known today that you are God in Israel, and I Your servant, that by Your word I have done all these things.  [37] Answer me, O Jehovah, answer me; and this people shall know that You are Jehovah God; and You shall turn their hearts back again.  [38] And fire fell from Jehovah and burned up the burnt offering, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and the water in the trench was licked up.  [39] And all the people saw, and fell on their faces, and said, Jehovah, He is the God; Jehovah, He is the God!

as the quran says in 37:123-128 Eliyas was a messenger, and the description fits what he was doing.

46:28 also uses the same word, it seems to me this is in reference to other gods used as a means of approach

the word is also used in the gospel, in mark 7:11, it has been transliterated from hebrew or similar, and then given with a clarification as to its meaning, and it is well known that it meant 'a gift/present/oblation/offering' and usualy connected with a offering.

it comes from the root word q -r -b denoting a nearness, closeness etc, and verbs like 'to bring close' 'to draw near' etc, hence in my understanding a qurbaan is something as a means of drawing near, an offering/gift

the account is also in the torah, genisis 4

[3] And in the end of days, it happened that Cain brought an offering to Jehovah from the fruit of the ground.  [4] And Abel brought, he also, from the firstlings of his flocks, even from their fat. And Jehovah looked to Abel and to his offering.  [5] And He did not look to Cain and to his offering. And Cain glowed greatly with anger, and his face fell.

[6] And Jehovah said to Cain, Why have you angrily glowed, and why has your face fallen?  [7] If you do well, is there not exaltation? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is toward you; but you should rule over it.

[8] And Cain talked with his brother Abel. And it happened as they were in the field, Cain rose up against His brother Abel, and killed him.

Peace.
What could i say that is better than what God has already informed us of?
Follow God
Seek His guidance, the only guidance
Glory and Praise be to God, rabbil Aalameen

Timotheus

my mistake. i duplicate posted, heres the hebrew root for the word used in genisis account:

[*StrongsHebrew*]
4503 minchah min-khaw' from an unused root meaning to apportion, i.e. bestow; a donation; euphemistically, tribute; specifically a sacrificial offering (usually bloodless and voluntary):--gift, oblation, (meat) offering, present, sacrifice.
What could i say that is better than what God has already informed us of?
Follow God
Seek His guidance, the only guidance
Glory and Praise be to God, rabbil Aalameen