News:

About us: a forum for monotheists, and discussion of Islam based on The Quran

Main Menu

What brings a person closer to God?

Started by Taro Hiroshi, October 08, 2015, 05:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taro Hiroshi

Peace everyone, 

What brings a person closer to God? In my opinion, the answer to this question can be found in two quranic verses. But there might be more than two quranic verses that speak about what brings a person closer to God. If you know about any other quranic verses that speaks about what brings a person closer to God, please share them in this thread. Anyway, here are two quranic verses that seem to suggest what brings a person closer to God.

Quran 34:37 And it is not your money or your children that will bring you closer to Us, but only those who believe and do good work, they will receive double the reward for their works, and they will reside in the high dwellings in peace.

Quran 9:99 And from the Nomads are those who believe in God and the Last Day, and he looks upon what he spends to make him closer to God, and the contact prayers of the messenger.It indeed makes them closer. God will admit them in His mercy; God is Forgiving, Merciful.

What are your thoughts? And do you know if there are any other quranic verses that speak about what brings a person closer to God?

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Osman

I think you're referring to وسيلة (wasiilah), 5:35:

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اتَّقُوا اللَّهَ وَابْتَغُوا إِلَيْهِ الْوَسِيلَةَ وَجَاهِدُوا فِي سَبِيلِهِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تُفْلِحُونَ
O ye who believe! do your duty to Allah seek the means of approach unto Him and strive with might and main in His cause: that ye may prosper.

Kikotsu

Peace Brother

I love this verse :

[3:31] Proclaim: "If you love GOD, you should follow me." GOD will then love you, and forgive your sins. GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful.

good logic

Peace Taro.

Here are another two verses:
73:8
You shall commemorate the name of your Lord, to come ever closer and closer to Him.
وَاذكُرِ اسمَ رَبِّكَ وَتَبَتَّل إِلَيهِ تَبتيلًا
73:9
Lord of the east and the west; there is no other god besides Him. You should choose Him as your advocate.
رَبُّ المَشرِقِ وَالمَغرِبِ لا إِلٰهَ إِلّا هُوَ فَاتَّخِذهُ وَكيلًا

GOD bless you.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST
38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?
[url="https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?p=28"]https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?p=28[/url]

fye

follow the ways of Abraham the true in faith, the sane in faith, ALLAH took him as a friend.
sacrifice
Praise be to ALLAH
my friend and only friend

TheUnseenLight

Quran 34:37 And it is not your money or your children that will bring you closer to Us, but only those who believe and do good work, they will receive double the reward for their works, and they will reside in the high dwellings in peace.

Quran 9:99 And from the Nomads are those who believe in God and the Last Day, and he looks upon what he spends to make him closer to God, and the contact prayers of the messenger.It indeed makes them closer. God will admit them in His mercy; God is Forgiving, Merciful.

Peace

I want to use the example verses from Taro, as well as Logic.
From my current understanding these verses are mere reflections of what ultimately answers Taro's question.

28:68 Thy Lord does create and choose as He pleases: no choice have they (in the matter): Glory to Allah! and far is He above the partners they ascribe (to Him)!

In other words, there is NOTHING you can do on your own that will bring you closer to God, let alone, become open to His guidance and walk according to his covenant law. The partners they ascribe are themselves. The "prayers" and "good works" cannot manifest unless God has bestowed His grace upon you, therefore there is nothing you did to earn His mercy. Which gives all credit to God alone, and none to ourselves.

76:30 But ye will not, except as Allah wills; for Allah is full of Knowledge and Wisdom.

This verse completely destroys the understanding of "Free Will" - having a choice (will) independently from God's. That is why He is the controller of ALL things.

God willing, May He guide us to His knowledge and wisdom.