Main Menu

Meaning of Kitabun in Chapter 41:3

Started by Saad Bekker, December 15, 2014, 10:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saad Bekker

Quote from: Farabi on December 21, 2014, 07:09:09 AM
Hi,
Well, I cant tell wheter you're beeing sarcastic or not  ;D
So, In my understanding Kitab mean something written, and it was book. And 2:2 is talked about Moses scripture which is called alkitab. There is a lot of verse on the quran that saying whoever did not establish the torah law and the christiant are not applying their teaching they are in darkness and wicked. So on my opinion, "That" in that verse was saying about the bible.
I cant edit my post.

Kitab derived from root KTB which mean writing. And there is another word for describing literacy which is QLM. QLM mean was pen, but there is idion 'ILM QLM which mean literacy, but activity to produce a paper is kitab.

If you want to write, Farabi writing a books. On quran arabic it would be, "Farabi kataba kutubu".
Here is another example

Farabi history is written.
"Farabi qishash maktubi"

Farabi is a writer
"Farabi alkatib"

There is no other word to describe writing activity except using KTB word.
Farabi,
Thank you for your input: yours really also makes sense. So how would you translate 2:2 into English?

Do you know Hebrew and Quran Arabic well? I am asking because right now I wish I had your knowledge. May Allah reward you greatly.
Knowledge is a best friend of mine but also my biggest critic

Saad Bekker

Quote from: hawk99 on December 21, 2014, 08:15:04 AM

Peace Saad Bekker,

Good questions, let's approach this horse from another angle.  Please read 13/39, 43/2-4,  85/21-22, 57/22
then re-read my previous post.  Give license to Allah who is trying to make a point to you, look at words
like they have broader meanings.  A myopic view of words and meanings in the Quran will only hinder
your understanding.  The word book, this, that, must be taken in context not only in the verse but in the
Quran as a whole.

كِتَابٌ   Kitaabun = book

KAF-TA-BA he wrote it, to dictate it, prescribe/appoint/ordain, judged / passed sentence / decreed,
drew/brought together, collected, conjoined / bound, he sewed it, what is written (e.g. of law),
mode/manner of writing, book, bookseller, a thing in which or on which one writes, record/register/writ,
revealed scripture, a writer/scribe/secretary, an army/military force, troop.

God bless

:peace:
Aha! So if I understand you correctly as well as the Verse/s you referred me to, you are saying that the "That Book..." referred to in the Quran 2:2, is actually the "Mother Book" (13:39) which is with Allah?"

So "Dhalika l-kitabu" in 2:2 could/should be translated as: "The original record, the "Mother Book" which is with Allah, is the book in which there is no doubt, and which is the guidance... "

I hope I understood correctly: but if not please adjust my attempt to translate 2:2

hawk99

Quote from: Saad Bekker on December 21, 2014, 09:49:06 AM
Aha! So if I understand you correctly as well as the Verse/s you referred me to, you are saying that the "That Book..." referred to in the Quran 2:2, is actually the "Mother Book" (13:39) which is with Allah?"

So "Dhalika l-kitabu" in 2:2 could/should be translated as: "The original record, the "Mother Book" which is with Allah, is the book in which there is no doubt, and which is the guidance... "

I hope I understood correctly: but if not please adjust my attempt to translate 2:2

Almost! IMHO You have divided/separated the Quran from the Umm-ul-Kitab,   :nope:  when you
are reading Quran you are reading part of the "Mother Book" see 43/2-4, and 2/4 retranslate.

God bless you

The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden

Farabi

Quote from: Saad Bekker on December 21, 2014, 09:28:40 AM
Farabi,
Thank you for your input: yours really also makes sense. So how would you translate 2:2 into English?

Do you know Hebrew and Quran Arabic well? I am asking because right now I wish I had your knowledge. May Allah reward you greatly.

My personal translation was "That book has no doubt in it, guidance for those who fears(muttaqin)". CMIIW.
At first I thought I'll be neutral by replacing my emotional attachment, what then happened was, I switch my side from the other extreme to the other one. I had no idea what is neutrality.

Farabi

I only know few hebrew and arabic. Both are simmiliar and had the same word transformation pattern.
At first I thought I'll be neutral by replacing my emotional attachment, what then happened was, I switch my side from the other extreme to the other one. I had no idea what is neutrality.

Saad Bekker

Quote from: Farabi on December 21, 2014, 09:03:26 PM
My personal translation was "That book has no doubt in it, guidance for those who fears(muttaqin)". CMIIW.
Good, thank you Farabi,

Now in your translation and according to your understanding: which book does "That book..." refer to?

Saad Bekker

Quote from: hawk99 on December 21, 2014, 12:10:05 PM
Almost! IMHO You have divided/separated the Quran from the Umm-ul-Kitab,   :nope:  when you
are reading Quran you are reading part of the "Mother Book" see 43/2-4, and 2/4 retranslate.

God bless you

Hawk,

I think this Website summarizes what your view point is?:

http://sufiyya.blogspot.com/2010/02/umm-al-kitab-surat-al-raad-13-39.html

hawk99

Quote from: Saad Bekker on December 22, 2014, 06:09:38 AM
Hawk,

I think this Website summarizes what your view point is?:

http://sufiyya.blogspot.com/2010/02/umm-al-kitab-surat-al-raad-13-39.html

Wow! thanks, I have a lot of pleasant memories studying with those folks.  Anyway, I hope you understand
the context and the broader context in regards to 2/2-4 please give your translation, there is no judgment
from me.

God bless you

The secret to monotheism can be found in the garden

Mazhar

ذَا It is a noun of indication, properly meaning This.
[اللام للبعد والكاف للخطاب]
Singular; Masculine; it is used to refer, draw attention, indicate or introduce something or person to the addressee.
كَ : It is for the person being addressed, singular, second person; masculine.

Checking its recurrence in Qur'aan will reveal that its Laam refers to a past fact, or to a just mentioned fact, command, advice.

The second noun is also definite with definite article. Read about definite article, it will tell that it is prefixed to a thing which is right in front of you.

Here is that book/this is the book wherein you will find all the time you read it, that its contents are absolutely void of psychologically disconcerting suspicious, conjectural, whimsical, conflicting, un-certain, illusory, unsubstantiated, biased and opinionated matter. [Refer 2:02]

: This verbal noun does not mean "doubt".
It is the subject noun of the negation particle; a Verbal/Infinitive noun, in Arabic terminology مصدر . It is a noun signifying action and state only. It is the source from where the verbs are derived. Its past and present tense verbs are رَابَ-يَرِيبُ. Infinitive Noun [مصدر] signifies the action indicated in the verb derived from it. The action that a verb denotes signifies change and alteration of states in time and space, physical or abstract, which was the intent or objective of doing that act. An action causes an effect to take existence; causes a new state to emerge different to that which existed before the execution of action.

The Root  is: "ر  ى  ب".  [Lane Lexicon-ريب] states, " رَابَ-يَرِيبُ, Infinitive Noun رَيْبٌ  "It [a thing] occasioned in me disquiet, disturbance, or agitation of mind. This is the primary signification."  At page 364 [third entry in the right column] it states; " رَيْبٌ   The primary signification is Disquiet, disturbance, or agitation of mind, and accidents or evil accidents of time that disturb or disquiet the heart and mind.

All the critical readers of the books may collectively catalogue all such elements in nonfiction books that might be considered as unpleasant and disquieting even by one reader; and thereafter peruse the Arabic text of Grand Qur'aan only to find that none is present therein. This renders it infinitely reliable and a pleasant read.

Introduction of Qur'aan: The Infinitely Reliable Book

[url="http://haqeeqat.pk/index.htm"]http://haqeeqat.pk/index.htm[/url]

Farabi

Quote from: Saad Bekker on December 22, 2014, 06:02:48 AM
Good, thank you Farabi,

Now in your translation and according to your understanding: which book does "That book..." refer to?

Sorry The translation should be, "That writing had no doubt in it, guidance for those who feared". It could be refer to the bible and it could be refer to Alfatihah. I dont know. I personaly think it is refer to the bible.

Edit:
Sorry Im blind about the word transformation. I cant tell wheter the "A-I-U" pattern was present tense or past tense. If it was present tense then it refer to the quran it self, if it was past tense then it refer to the bible.