Author Topic: Did Abu Hanifa followed the Quran alone?  (Read 2174 times)

theNabster

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Did Abu Hanifa followed the Quran alone?
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 06:55:41 PM »
Salam
For reference I collated the thread I made on @Twitter & @Facebook & it contains all the info from posters above & my current stand on hadith & traditions -

Revisiting Hadiths after rejecting them in 2000.

This Topic: Did Abu Hanifa follow the Quran alone? on https://free-minds.org/forum/index.php?topic=9603812.0 forum prompted me to start looking into Abu Hanifa who was one of the early Imams Muslim clerics who started gathering information around early Islam & followers - establishing his own madhhab/school.

Abu Hanifa came before Bukhari, Muslim & Imam Shafi'3.

When I was exposed to hadiths in the early mid 1980's through Sunnis I affiliated myself with, I was concerned about contradictions with Qur'an which they did not seem bothered with & in 2000 I rejected Hadiths completely.

However in later years I realised this was not the correct approach because hadiths though often unreliable had still information of a historical nature & also illustrated how early Muslims responded within their own challenges using Qur'an as guidance.

In this light, & in view a lot of hadiths corruptions came mostly with hadiths sourced to Bukhari, Muslim, & later, I am now revisiting those pre Bukhari & Abu Hanifa will be a good starting point.

I look at Hadiths like I look at popular culture, some of which are empowering.

Therefore ruling them out completely was not wise, however they are not binding & certainly not to be used to amend or modify the Qur'an letter & spirit, they are welcome when they reinforce it rather.

Hadiths, each generation has its own sets of hadiths, of how our wise men, rulers, thinkers, ideologues set up to solve issues based on their belief systems, for Muslims Believers it is Qur'an.

At Abu Hanifa time hadiths were still not accepted as Islamic.
It was during Malik & Al Shafi'3's time they became a source for Islam.

Hanafis according to Daniel Brown accepted hadiths very late, resisted but in the end joined rest of Sunnis, cf book "Canonization of Bukhari".

What Imam Shafi'3 did, which was a crime against Allah, was to make Hadiths more binding than Qur'an, he made Hadiths abrogate Qur'an, he will be punished harshly for this, & in fact Abbasids who embraced his doctrine/edicts/fatwas got destroyed by Mongols as punishment in 1258.

Imam Abu Hanifa apparently had a much stricter criteria for ahadith/traditions, and made much more limited/cautious use of them in his rulings. Especially in comparison to later scholars and Imams of other madhabs/schools e.g. Malik, Shafi, Hanbal.

In fact he rejected so many hadith that he was apparently accused in his lifetime of being a "hadith rejecter". He apparently clarified by saying he does not reject hadith but rejects incorrectly attributed hadith.

As such there was somewhat of a rivalry between him and muhadithin (scholars of hadith). For example, Bukhari (who came much later) famously does not take hadith from Abu Hanifa, or only does so indirectly.

cf references here - Imam Abu Hanifa: The Juggernaut of Islamic Jurisprudence -
https://miftaah.org/articles/2019/1/21/imam-abu-hanifa-the-juggernaut-of-jurisprudence

His criteria for testing hadith, in brief:
1) does it go against Quran
2) does it go against established sunnah (precedent of prophet and companions)...
This is after having checked each narrator in the chain/isnad passes their narrator criteria (righteous, maturity, intellect...

Peace
Nabil H
41:53 We will show them Our Signs in the universe, and in their own selves, until it becomes manifest to them that this (Qur'an) is the truth.

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 10:15:21 AM »
I got the info from the book called "Hanafi principles of testing hadith" by Shaykh Atabek Shukurov. It deals with classical hanafi principles, not modern hanafi version which is significantly influenced by Shafi principles.

You can see some of his interviews here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb2MOsjzetQ&ab_channel=LettheQuranSpeak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtwyWCa2-pQ&ab_channel=MuftiAbuLayth

The purpose of the info was just to show what was apparently done in the past. It seems pretty obvious from Traditional Islamic and historical sources that the elevated status of hadith took a while to establish itself  and became dominant post-Shafi.
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

theNabster

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 10:59:41 AM »
I got the info from the book called "Hanafi principles of testing hadith" by Shaykh Atabek Shukurov. It deals with classical hanafi principles, not modern hanafi version which is significantly influenced by Shafi principles.

You can see some of his interviews here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb2MOsjzetQ&ab_channel=LettheQuranSpeak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtwyWCa2-pQ&ab_channel=MuftiAbuLayth

The purpose of the info was just to show what was apparently done in the past. It seems pretty obvious from Traditional Islamic and historical sources that the elevated status of hadith took a while to establish itself  and became dominant post-Shafi.

Jews have the Talmud which is also riddled with inconsistencies & magical thinking, even as an Arab Jew, i never bothered about Talmud Rabbinical edicts, & since 2000 Qur'an is more than enough for me, the rest is just decoration & static.

When I see how harsh the retribution was for Abbasids to follow Imam Shafi'3 subversive edict & put hadiths on a pedestal, I'd rather steer clear from them & let scholars, sadly some vacuous & lame, deal with them.

As a practical example, if someone comes to me & tries to use hadith to convince me on any matter legal or otherwise, my response will be consistently to ask that person to prove it by Qur'an, otherwise it is invalid & spurious.
41:53 We will show them Our Signs in the universe, and in their own selves, until it becomes manifest to them that this (Qur'an) is the truth.