Author Topic: Did Abu Hanifa followed the Quran alone?  (Read 2227 times)

superprima

• Beginner/Inquirer
  • Karma +0/-0
Did Abu Hanifa followed the Quran alone?
« on: May 12, 2012, 01:33:59 AM »
I have read somewhere that he denied all the hadiths that were propagated during his time. So is there any evidence to back this claim?
Also what was his opinion about Abu huraira and how did he prayed?

Bigmo

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +1/-0
Re: Did Abu Hanifa followed the Quran alone?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 03:34:00 AM »
I have read somewhere that he denied all the hadiths that were propagated during his time. So is there any evidence to back this claim?
Also what was his opinion about Abu huraira and how did he prayed?

At his time hadith was still not accepted as islamic. It was during Malik and Al Shafi's time that hadith became a source for Islam. Anyways the Hanafis according to Daniel Brown accepted the hadith very late. They resisted by in the end they joined the rest of the Sunnis. If you want to know more you can read "The canonozation of Bukhari" by Daniel Brown.
88:21 22; And so, exhort them your task is only to exhort; you cannot compel them to believe

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 03:17:51 AM »
peace all,

I have been reading up on Imam Abu Hanifa recently and he apparently had a much stricter criteria for ahadith/traditions, and made much more limited/cautious use of them in his rulings. Especially in comparison to later scholars and Imams of other madhabs e.g. Malik, Shafi, Hanbal.

In fact he rejected so many hadith that he was apparently accused in his lifetime of being a "hadith rejecter". He apparently clarified by saying he does not reject hadith but rejects incorrectly attributed hadith.

As such there was somewhat of a rivalry between him and muhadithin (scholars of hadith). For example, Bukhari (who came much later) famously does not take hadith from Abu Hanifa, or only does so indirectly.

You can read the traditional story of him here:
https://miftaah.org/articles/2019/1/21/imam-abu-hanifa-the-juggernaut-of-jurisprudence
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

Wakas

• Administrator
  • Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +14/-2
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 11:49:39 PM »
His criteria for testing hadith, in brief:
1) does it go against Quran
2) does it go against established sunnah (precedent of prophet and companions)
3) if it is only one person narrating the hadith AND it affects everybody (i.e. a hadith that affects everybody should be much more well known than having one common narrator)
4) was the hadith ignored by the companions or following generation
5) does it go against the intellect
6) does it go against the senses/experience (empirical evidence)
7) if it relates to matters of theology (e.g. God and His attributes)
8] does it go against agreed upon principles of Islam

This is after having checked each narrator in the chain/isnad passes their narrator criteria (righteous, maturity, intellect, memory, Muslim, not known for innovation, acts upon their own narration etc).
All information in my posts is correct to the best of my knowledge only and thus should not be taken as a fact. One should seek knowledge and verify: 17:36, 20:114, 35:28, 49:6, 58:11. My articles

www.studyQuran.org

theNabster

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 12:42:47 PM »
Salam & Thanks Bro Wakas, I included these details about Abu Hanifa on my @Twitter feeds.
41:53 We will show them Our Signs in the universe, and in their own selves, until it becomes manifest to them that this (Qur'an) is the truth.

good logic

• Wise One / Burnout
  • Karma +8/-4
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 03:34:30 PM »
Of course many  have tried to argue the case against and for secondary sources
However GOD s argument  in Qoran is the strongest and the simplest,

This puts an end to any need of  any secondary source , the argument about the need of hadith  or sunna or any other source collapses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrWTXc6s8rg

GOD bless you all.
Peace.
TOTAL LOYALTY TO GOD ALONE.   IN GOD I TRUST
38:65″ Say:? I warn you; There is no other god beside GOD, the One, the Supreme.?
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/

theNabster

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 05:18:01 PM »
Of course many  have tried to argue the case against and for secondary sources
However GOD s argument  in Qoran is the strongest and the simplest,

This puts an end to any need of  any secondary source , the argument about the need of hadith  or sunna or any other source collapses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrWTXc6s8rg

GOD bless you all.
Peace.

Peace & Allah's Mercy & Forgiveness,

I consider hadiths/traditions as informative, sometimes empowering, sometimes malicious, but not binding -

I apply to them what Allah advises in Qur'an - "those who listen to what is said & follow the best thereof, those are the ones endowed with intelligence"
41:53 We will show them Our Signs in the universe, and in their own selves, until it becomes manifest to them that this (Qur'an) is the truth.

jkhan

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +5/-2
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 06:19:52 PM »
peace all,

I have been reading up on Imam Abu Hanifa recently and he apparently had a much stricter criteria for ahadith/traditions, and made much more limited/cautious use of them in his rulings. Especially in comparison to later scholars and Imams of other madhabs e.g. Malik, Shafi, Hanbal.

In fact he rejected so many hadith that he was apparently accused in his lifetime of being a "hadith rejecter". He apparently clarified by saying he does not reject hadith but rejects incorrectly attributed hadith.

As such there was somewhat of a rivalry between him and muhadithin (scholars of hadith). For example, Bukhari (who came much later) famously does not take hadith from Abu Hanifa, or only does so indirectly.

You can read the traditional story of him here:
https://miftaah.org/articles/2019/1/21/imam-abu-hanifa-the-juggernaut-of-jurisprudence

I wonder if anyone can answer the question the topic heading...

Even he followed quran alone or with hadith what benefit for us...
It was his life.. He is responsible for his actions...

I don't understand sometimes when people say what is the wrong if we follow hadith which doesn't go againat quran...  Why?  What reason behind it?   If one hadith tally quran why you want to follow hadith and why not follow quran instead... Why working hard to search hadiths that go in line with quran so that you may call it authentic and follow.. It is so weird...

When quran is the only book to follow at the end of the day why one need to research on authentic hadith and those who wrote it.... If any single hadith of Mr Hanifa goes against quran then true believer can decide what he would have followed... Those who have read his hadith book would know better what is written in it..

What one tries to prove by reading his book... Is it he was different from others so that you may follow him or no harm in following his hadith ?  Or do you have a mission?

theNabster

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 05:27:11 PM »
Peace jkhan,

there is a fine line between idolatry hero worship & monotheism, because there is a natural tendency for humans to feel empowered or dispirited by examples in real life whom they hear about or who affect them directly like their parents, their peers, their teachers, mentors, rulers & so on.

Hadith are here to stay, & people are affected by them directly or indirectly, so we need to find a way to show ourselves & others how to deal with this situation because it is endemic & pervasive.

There is not just hadiths but cultural traditions of different clusters of humanity.

What Qur'an does is steer people away from idolatry & setting up partners against Allah, it does not issue edicts to destroy all their traditions they rely on to survive & thrive, an example of good traditions is Science & Empirical Research, an example of bad traditions is the Hollywood & mass media indoctrinations by Knights of Malta, Opus Dei, Vatican, Jesuits, Freemasons, Wahhabi & Zionists, etc.

I have rejected hadiths since 2000, but I consider this now a mistake, even though I will not actively look for hadiths to enlighten myself & prefer Qur'an, I am still affected by Hadiths which have been used by the mainstream for now over 1,000 years & counting.

Traditions define the character of a Nation, Country, Ethnicity, etc.
It is accepted as axiomatic in Qur'an that people are different in customs, habits, but what it does is seek to purify those from evil & idolatry.

To change this, Quran Only people like you & me need a State, like the Turks did in the 13th-14th century with the Ottoman Empire.

What preceded them like Abbasids, Fatimids & other sects were clearly in the wrong & got eventually destroyed.

Abbasids were the ones who made Hadiths canonical, & Fatimids were idolaters who worshiped Fatima, & the Moors in Spain who might have been the most Quran only of the lot got massacred by Spaniards Catholics, this is our history, sadly.

The Turks had to deal with the emergence of the Shia movement which today is Iran & affiliates.

Maybe there will be a resurrection of Islam from Yemen as I believe there could be, usually Muslims who are the most oppressed get blessed with enforcers who emerge from their struggles & martyrdoms.

& Allah knows best.
Peace
Nabil H

jkhan

• Advanced Truth Seeker
  • Karma +5/-2
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 05:55:22 PM »
Peace Nabil  H...

Thank you...

Why we need state in society for our salvation.. Yes.. They were fortunate who lived a social life being believers around them... But believer can live alone as well and still achieve his goal... That's my life... 😬

In addition... With the message of God through prophets when one community turned out many, God exposed erroneous cultures and habits and rituals and beliefs etc... ... Country needs them is just our wish bit not essential... That's my understanding...

Thank you again...